Tuesday, February 18, 2014

March photo challenge…Hard light...

"I believe in the photographer's magic-the ability to stir the soul with light and shape and color.  -Amyn Nasser

For the year of 2014, our club is exploring light: all types of light.  This is a great challenge to me because I have to do research on what a particular type of lighting means.  Take, for instance, this month's light: hard light.  I know about high key, and low key light…well, actually, I have heard of them, but that is not to say I understand them completely.  As I began to do my research, I was surprised with how it is defined.  I though hard light would be photos taken in harsh sunlight.  Well, it is that, but it is so much more.  In fact, this is another favorite type of lighting for me. (My absolute favorite being backlighting, especially with the solar effects).

Here's what I discovered about hard light. (By the way, if I ever have something wrong in my explanations, or am way off base, please let me know!  I am learning, too).  Hard light is dramatic light that results in high contrast images with bright whites and dark shadows.  Photographers use small sources of light to illuminate parts of a subject, or location to direct attention either to or from a particular portion of a scene.  Hard light creates shadows with a sharp transition from light to dark which makes for a more dramatic look.  Sources for small, concentrated light maybe from an iPhone, iPad, small lamp, flashlight, streetlight, or window.  Look for small patches of light, and experiment.

photo by Jennifer Coats.  

Photo by Rey Berrones

Photo by Rob McKelvy, using an iPhone

Photo by Rob McKelvy

Full sun on a bright day is hard light that creates harsh shadows.  Light from the sun can add more drama to a photo, express emotion, or tell a story.

Photo by Rey Berrones.  The thrower of the jar, Bill Flynt.  This photo amazes me.  To catch the mason jar right in front of the sun is nothing short of a miracle in my opinion.  

Photo by Rob McKelvy

Photo by Rob McKelvy

Two ways to harden light:
1.  Move the light farther from the subject-the farther away the light, the less the subject is illuminated.
2.  Use a bare bulb, or bare flash…no diffuser.

The challenge:
1.  Take up to 4 pictures: 1 a week preferably of examples of hard light.
2.  Use any type of camera.
3.  Present them in any media form: print, CD, thumb drive, and any size.
4.  Have the info available: SS, ISO, aperture.

Go out and get clicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment