Monday, June 3, 2013

Lightning...

"Light makes photography.  Embrace light.  Admire it.  But above all, know light.  Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography."  -George Eastman

As many of the members of PASR, as well as members of our community know, Jennifer Coats (http://www.jennifercoats.com) takes some fantastic, and incredible pictures of storms.  I, Rob McKelvy, asked her if we could take photos when a storm came.  She said, "Sure."  Yesterday, she called me in the early afternoon to say there was going to be a wonderful storm that night, and did I want to come out to her house.  I looked around at the sky.  Not a cloud was in sight.  Not much wind either.  Hmmm.  I was not sure she knew what she was talking about, but she assured me there would be a storm, and it would hit between 9 and midnight.  I went to her house.  I took my friend, Stephanie DeFranco (http://stephaniedefranco.com/blog/) with me.  (She's a great photographer too.  Check out her work.)  It was one honking storm!  Dust, wind, lightning, but in Dexter, no rain.  It was eerie, cold, and exciting.  I did not have a clue as to how to take photos of lightning, but Jennifer is a great teacher.  Here's what she told me to do.


  • Set your camera to manual mode. 
  • Settings for me: Shutter speed: 25 seconds, aperture: f/6.3, ISO: 400 
  • Focus on some object in the distance.  We focused on a few lights on the horizon.
  • Turn your auto focus on your lens off, and switch to manual focus.
  • Press the shutter button, and hope for some great shots.


I have no clue how to edit lightning photos.  One thing I find interesting is that the sky is anywhere from yellow, pink to blue.  I have no clue what my white balance was, or if that may have affected the color.  I took all my photos in JPEG, since I did not want to eat up my memory card.  I learned a ton, had a great time, and am very thankful that Jennifer opened her home, and knowledge to me.  Here are my photos.







Now I cannot wait until the next storm happens.  I was so glad to see that Roswell got some rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment