Thursday, January 2, 2014

January Photo Challenge...

"Which of my photographs is my favorite?" The one I am going to take tomorrow."  -Imogene Cunningham

I think this quote is so true.  When I take photos, then upload, and look at them, I think, "Oh I really like these."  Then I take more, and I like those too!  That is why we take pictures…we love them.  We want to share that love, and awe with others.  When we do, we are passing on a piece of ourselves through our lens.  We are passing on beauty, detail, and passion.

Happy New Year!  Hopefully, everyone had a fantastic holiday, took lots of pictures, and have made a New Year's resolution to keep taking pictures, and sharpen your photographic skills.  I would like to challenge you to start a folder, or portfolio of your favorite pictures for 2014.  At the end of the year, have them made into a photo book.  You will be amazed at how your photographs improve.

For 2014, I decided rather than pick a subject each month as a challenge, that we would do a study in lighting in keeping with the light workshops that Kelly and Rey Berrones have so graciously hosted. (and Jennifer Coats).  What I would like to propose is that one picture/week be taken depicting that month's particular lighting challenge.  If you do the challenges, you will have 52 pictures, and hopefully, a better understanding of light.  I understand the challenge of time, so please do not put yourself under bondage to get this done.  It is to be fun.  If you only get one picture, then be thrilled with your one picture.

Here is what I have planned for the challenges each month:
January-Shadows (in retrospect, I should have done this challenge in February in honor of the ground hog seeing or not seeing its shadow.)
February-Back light
March-Hard light
April-Natural indoor light
May-Directional light
June-Diffused light
July-Night light (think 4th of July)
August- Light at different times of day
September-Artificial light
October-Black and white light (think Halloween…black)
November-Photographer's choice
December-Holiday light

This month's challenge is of shadows.  Look for shadows of lines, abstractions, people, and anything that is interesting to you.  There was a photographer who was known for putting the shadow of himself in his pictures.  I do not recall his name.  If anyone can shed light on who he was, shoot me an email.

Rules:
1. Photos may not be archived.  They must be taken from the time from the December meeting to the January meeting.

2.  You may submit up to 4 photos.  Please, please…do not take 4 photos in the same day.  This defeats
the purpose.  Photos must be taken 1 week apart or close to a week.

3.  Photos can be in any format: print, framed, matted, CD, or flash drive.

4.  Have the file information.  Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO, and any processing used.

5.  Have fun!

Examples of shadow photos: (all photos by Rob McKelvy unless noted)



photo from the web

photo from the web…this is also back light

photo from web

photo from the web



Go out and find some shadows…and get clicking.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment